Skip to main content

I want justice for my son’s killing –Ebonyi septuagenarian who lost child during PDP primaries

Mrs Alu Uche Ibiam, 71, is the mother of 35-year-old employee of Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic, Unwana-Afikpo, Ebonyi State, Enyinnaya Ibiam, who was allegedly shot dead during a Peoples Democratic Party councillorship primaries in the state in February 2020. Following the killing, Governor David Umahi ordered the immediate removal from office and arrest of the Coordinator, Ubeyi Development Centre, Mr Uche Ibiam, for his alleged involvement in the killing. Mrs Ibiam tells EDWARD NNACHI about the gloom her son’s death has brought on the family

What do you do for a living?
I am a subsistence farmer. I do that to take care of my family. Most people in my age, around this area, are farmers. So, we are an agrarian community.
Tragedy recently befell you when you lost a son in broad daylight. How did it happen?
I can’t really say how it happened because I was at home when it happened. It was on a Friday, the day the Peoples Democratic Party had its councillorship primaries across the state. I’m not a politician, so I didn’t go to the venue of the primary election. So, I was at home when my little son returned from work. I call him little son because he is the 11th in a family of 15 children. He came in from work that day and after eating, he decided to go the venue of the election, maybe to exercise his right.
He was not a politician; he was not contesting any position. He was an employee of the polytechnic here. But no sooner had he left the house for the venue than people started rushing to the house to say Enyinnaya Ibiam had been shot by one Uchenna Ibiam, who was until two days after the incident, the Coordinator, Ubeyi Development Centre. Lo and behold, it was true. I couldn’t believe it.
People came to my compound to say that my son had been shot dead. I was not there. People, who were at the councillorship primary election, came to tell me the sad news. That was how I got to hear about it.
It was reported that he worked at Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic in the state…
Yes, he was until his death attached to the marketing department of the polytechnic. After his National Youth Service Corps experience, he got a job at the polytechnic. He wasn’t idle.
I had15 children and lost two of them. Many of my children have their children now, so I have many grandchildren.
Was your son married?
No, Enyinnaya Ibiam was not married. But I can say he was making moves towards getting married. Although he was not married, he was a responsible young man, who was always assisting in any little way he could in the welfare of the family. He was a nice young man.
How close were both of you?
He was my son. We were very close. We were so close that there was nothing he wanted to do that he wouldn’t let me know about. He confided in me and I confided in him. He was such a nice person.
What did you when you heard about Ibiam’s death?
At first, I could not believe it. At another point, it was like a dream. The truth is that this sort of incident is unheard of, unusual and purely against the way of life of our people. Our people are not known for this sort of behaviour. But, I leave all in the hands of God. He who knows my weaknesses and understands that I’m powerless, will fight for me. Ibiam was a respectful and obedient young man. He didn’t fight or quarrel with anyone. So, for someone to do this to him is the height of wickedness and barbarism and my prayer is that let justice prevail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25 Extravagant Yachts Owned by Celebrities ADVERTISEMENT:

Traveling by yacht is an experience that not many can afford, let alone owning one. Having a yacht lets people know that you’re doing a little better than “just great” in life. However, you can bump it up a notch and have a yacht equipped with a range of different amenities including a swimming pool, elevator, and even a smaller boat! If anyone knows how to live in style, it’s the rich and famous. Check out these 25 swanky yachts owned by some of the wealthiest celebs. 1. Sean “Diddy” Comb’s Maraya youtube.com Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, or simply Diddy, whatever you want to call him – he knows how to live. This native from Harlem has had a very successful career in the music industry with no end in sight. It only makes sense that he has the riches to show it. His $65 million yacht dubbed theMaraya is 54 feet long from nose to back and has 10 staff members on its every beck and call. ADVERTISEMENT:

FLASHBACK VIDEO: Emir of Kano is public officer, I’ll remove him and sleep soundly ― Lt Rimi

Late Governor of Kano State, Abubakar Rimi in an interview with veteran journalist, Lekan Alabi, in 1982 said the Emir is a public office holder, paid with public funds, appointed for the pleasure of the state governor and can be removed anytime. Rimi, apparently reacting to the feud between himself and the then Emir. ALSO READ: How stretcher denied Rimi chance to live, Driver recounts He said: “As far as I am concerned, the Emir of Kano, is nothing, nothing, nothing, but a public officer. He is a public officer holding a public office, who is being paid by public funds and whose appointment is at the pleasure of the state governor and who can be dismissed, removed, suspended, if he commits an offence and there is nothing absolutely you think about Ado Bayero, Emir of Kano. “If he commits any offence, we will remove him and we will sleep soundly. Watch here

Coronavirus Live Updates: FG restricts entry of travellers from China, Italy, 11 others to Nigeria

Coronavirus has become a big threat to all countries in the world including world power, the  United  States of America, China and the United Kingdom. Legit.ng  provides a live update of incidents and information on the deadly coronavirus. The World Health Organization (WHO) said that within two weeks, the number of cases of COVID-19 outside  China  increased 13-fold, and the number of affected countries has tripled. It also said that there are now more than 118,000 cases in 114 countries, and 4,291 people have lost their lives. The index case of coronavirus was discovered in Lagos on February 24, when an Italian who came on a business trip to  Nigeria  fell ill and was later tested positive of the disease. He was quarantined for proper treatment. NCDC ✔ @NCDCgov  ·  12 h Replying to @NCDCgov Our Director General @ Chikwe_I is currently live on @ NTANewsNow reassuring Nigerians of Government’s commitment to control # COVID19Nigeria Tune to # DSTV25